Friday 2 March 2012

The Liquid Suspension Experiment....

I hope this blog post will bring you up to speed with what's been going on with my Doctor and Endocrinologist.

In late 2011 I had an appointment with my Endocrinologist at the local hospital. With what was going on in my life, coupled with the Endo's attitude, it was a routine appointment; dotting the i's and crossing the t's.

I followed this up with a visit to my Doctor where I repeated the whole "I do not feel well and would like the opportunity to try other treatments (including.... whisper it.... Natural Desiccated Thyroid) dance routine".

So I was adhering to the status quo, in a holding pattern if you will. It is my experience that "Health Professionals" rather like this!

So Christmas and New Year came and went.... hello 2012! After bigging up 2011 as "my year" I am reluctant to place any expectations on 2012 other than getting out of it in a better state than I came into it.

It was now early February and I trudged off to my next appointment with the Endocrinologist, expectations low.... just how I like it, in my comfort zone!

We danced our dance whilst I whispered sweet nothings in his ear....

"You, my Doctor, the PCT (Primary "Care" Trust), you all tell me that NDT is not available on the NHS so how come the NHS's ("The Information Centre: for Health and Social Care") own National Statistics  (Prescription Cost Analysis 2010 England) show that there were over 1,700 prescriptions for Armour Thyroid in 2010?"

"I wonder what a lawyer would make of that?"

NHS National Statistics; Prescription Cost Analysis 2010 England. You need to scroll down to page 200 and 201, "BNF: 6. 2. 1. 0. Thyroid Hormones", it is there in black and white, and you'll need your glasses!

AND THEN EVERYTHING CHANGED.

By the end of the appointment the Endocrinologist had referred me to the "Thyroid Clinic" at another regional hospital. He sold it to me by saying it had more blood testing and treatment options. According to my Doctor this was not true (another lie!) he was discharging me from his "care". No bad thing really, for me, it could even be seen as a positive development. He also recommended that my Doctor prescribe "liquid suspension levothyroxine" after my repeated questions regarding it being the fillers in the tablets that could be causing my skin breakouts and possibly other symptoms. This, my Doctor, has agreed to do.

"Hush money".... fucking hilarious! I was not born yesterday!

To recap. I have received notification of my appointment, in early April, with The Thyroid/Endocrine Clinic at the regional university teaching hospital, a far more prestigious hospital than where I've been "treated" 'til now. But, "prestigious" does not guarantee results.... expectations in check.... however my odds on regaining some semblance of well-being have improved. Progress!

Now then, the liquid suspension experiment. My Doctor agreed to prescribe Liquid Suspension Levothyroxine (LSL) for a trial period of 3 months due to the cost of the medication. I'm in! He referred me to the in-house pharmacy at my Doctors Surgery who proceeded to tell me this medication is no longer made. I repeated what Doctor told me but Pharmacy's computer screen was saying "no". Went back to reception to get them to pass this information on to my Doctor, who was now seeing another patient, he spoke to the Pharmacy. Back at the Pharmacy they 'phoned an independent local pharmacy; nothing doing. Was told that I was welcome to visit other pharmacies in the area to see if I could have better luck but that you will not be able to get medication!

You hum it, I'll sing it, I'd heard this song before!

Anyway, so off I popped brandishing my prescription....

The first 2 pharmacies I tried in town could both get the medication for me! I plumped for the more professional outfit, which happened to be Boots, a nationally recognised chain of chemists with an in-house pharmacy. They were kind, courteous and welcoming.... how refreshing!

They explained to me that the medication is made to order, has a shelf-life of 35 days unopened and 14 days once opened, and that it needs to be kept in the fridge.

One 100ml bottle, where 5ml equals 100mcg (so 150mcg equals 7.5ml), will last me 13 days (13 x 7.5 = 97.5). Not just a pretty face me!

I still require my prescription to be issued by my Doctor's in-house pharmacy. I explained to them how a prescription for 2 bottles at a time would be easier so that I would only have to put everyone through the rigmarole every 26 days. This has been agreed.

Did you get all that?

I do believe this will prove to be a step forward, however, I do not expect it to be the answer. I believe that ultimately I will require a medication that contains T3.

I hope I do not come across as ungrateful or too negative. If you have followed my story from the beginning you will understand what a big deal this is!

I am extremely thankful.

More than words.

Enough to make me weep.

The ball is rolling.

Buckle up!

Coming soon; The Liquid Suspension Diary.

You see what hope has gone and done?

"You telling me I have a chance?" - Dumb & Dumber.

Remember; for as long as we have hope, we have a chance.

1 comment:

  1. I hope the liquid suspension levo works for you! I'm on thyroxine too and haven't really investigated whether I might be allergic to the fillers... but I'm just so sick of being on thyroxine and it not working that I'm determined to get NDT prescribed for me when I see my doctor in a few weeks. She whispered to me last year that one person at the surgery was on NDT prescribed by the NHS - I hate it when other doctors deny this is possible! Thanks for that NHS Prescription Cost Analysis thing - solid proof!

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome, positive or negative.
Please do not be abusive as these comments will not be shown.
Thank you, Robert.