Monday 13 September 2010

Blood test results; August 2010....

As promised....

For those of you interested in the more technical aspects of my battle with hypothyroidism, the results from my blood sample taken in August 2010 are detailed below.

Verbatim....

Serum TSH level: LO. 0.16 mu/L. (0.35 - 5.5).

Serum free T4 level: 22.2 pmol/L (11.5 - 22.7).

Serum free triiodothyronine level: 5.6 pmol/L. (3.5 - 6.5).

Thyroid peroxidase antibody level: HI. 64 U/ml (0 - 60).

I'm glad we've got that straight! Interesting, right!

The first thing to say is that the above sample was taken after I had been taking 150mcg of levothyroxine every day for 238 days, or 38 weeks. Do I need to remind you? I have.... altogether now!.... an extremist personality! So I obsessively take my tablets every day, every day!


Why is nothing straight forward? The fact that stunned me the most was that my "Serum TSH level" was 0.16 mu/L which indicates hyperthyroidism!

The million dollar question? Here goes.... why for 4 years from 2002 to 2005 when I was taking 200mcg per day, every day, were my blood tests coming back as "normal"? Where's Sherlock Holmes when you need him my dear Watson?

The "Serum TSH level" does explain why I have been having more difficulty getting to sleep and waking up. Another million dollar question; why have I not been experiencing the devastating panic/anxiety attacks and heart palpitations?

Do you want my theory? Of course you do....

The only thing that has changed during that time is that I gave up smoking on 13th February 2009! Well done Robert! Why thank you one and all! So, to recap, during the period 2002 to 2005 I was smoking 15-20 cigarettes per day (yuck!) and since February 2009 zero! Well done Robert! Why, once again, thank you one and all! Yes I am pleased with myself!

Does smoking really affect the body's ability to absorb synthetic T4 (levothyroxine) this much? If so the fact that I have stopped smoking is huge! This would mean that I am like two different patients; smoking Robert with hypothyroidism, and quit smoking Robert with hypothyroidism. I have "hypothyroidism schizophrenia" ha ha.... no! I shouldn't laugh!

Enough with the million dollar questions already!

You have to laugh that the more you learn about hypothyroidism the more questions you have! The irony is not lost on me! Even though I now know more I feel like I know less! Does this make any sense?

Now, I'm thinking aloud here.... do the "Serum free T4 level" results suggest anything?....

....is "Serum free triiodothyronine level" the same as "free T3" and do the results suggest anything?....

now this is a biggy.... do the "thyroid peroxidase antibody level" results suggest that I have "Hashimoto's"?

As you can see, many questions have been percolating in my mind since early August.

Another development.... I have my first ever appointment with an Endocrinologist later this month. It has only been more than 8 years people!

Despite the many questions, I feel like a breakthrough is just around the corner.... I've mentioned the importance of hope before.

I am also aware that just because I have an appointment with an Endocrinologist it does not mean I'll get to see one who is sympathetic/understanding/open-minded etc.

Oh, before I forget.... ok, I forgot!.... I am now taking 137.5mcg levothyroxine per day so my body (and mind!) is still in the adjusting period.... but I am still here.... and that is to be celebrated, right?

I think that is enough to be going on with....

1 comment:

  1. No, no, no, Robert, your low TSH does not mean you are hyper. Once you are on replacement hormone, the TSH means little at all (unless it's very high). What tells you if you are hypo or hyper (and then not always !) is your FT3 level, and yours is actually a little low, should be nearer the top. And of course your symptoms but then again, many symptoms cross over and can be hypo or hyper. Which is why we have to take both blood results AND symptoms into account when setting the dose... Your FT4 there is perhaps a tad high (should be around mid-range) but all that means is that you're not converting very well - hence the need to take T3!
    Going back to your TSH level, as you have Hashi's, you need to have it that low. If it's any higher, it provokes antibody attacks, and they cause the hyper/hypo swings that you so need to avoid. Because with every swing a little more of your gland is destroyed, and the swings make it impossible for you to optimise your dose...

    I'm telling you all this but you probably know it all by now. lol I have just discovered your blog and am starting at the begining so I'm probably a bit out of date...
    Never mind, Liliane

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome, positive or negative.
Please do not be abusive as these comments will not be shown.
Thank you, Robert.