Friday 15 October 2010

Conspiracy theory....

....I've had a eureka moment. For those of you who enjoy a good old fashioned conspiracy theory I have a real doozy for you....

It goes by the name of.... protecting the self serving interests of the pharmaceuticals industry....

Let me get the disclaimer in first.... it is not my intention to undermine depression, as you all know I suffered (there is no other word!) a nervous breakdown in the year 2000, amid all the euphoria of the dawn of a new millennium.... don't worry, the irony is not lost on me!

The seeds of this eureka moment were sewn during my digestion of the events surrounding my appointment with the endocrinologist. You see, after a while, he began to sound like a parrot! He kept repeating verbatim; "it is not recommended by the British Thyroid Association (BTA)" as if there was NO other possible road to travel.

Being the smart arse I am I looked at the BTA website http://www.british-thyroid-association.org/  and the penny dropped!

Under the ambiguous tab of "Meeting Sponsorship" http://www.british-thyroid-association.org/Sponsorship/  all became clear! As well as welcoming "corporate membership at the discretion of the BTA committee" ....a nice way of of putting it!.... the following companies are listed....

  • Genzyme http://www.genzyme.com  "one of the world's leading biotechnology companies".
  • RSR Ltd. http://www.rsrltd.com  "a major developer and manufacturer of medical diagnostics with particular emphasis on autoimmune thyroid disease".
  • Pfizer http://www.pfizer.co.uk  "as one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies, we are at the cutting edge of the research and development of medicines".
  • Novo Nordisk http://www.novonordisk.co.uk "has the broadest diabetes product portfolio in the industry"

So it is safe to say that the BTA exists thanks to the support it gets from the pharmaceuticals industry.

And the BTA advises endocrinologists on how to treat hypothyroidism.

Excuse my ignorance here a moment but I assumed (dangerous thing to do!) that the all official sounding BTA was some sort of Department of Health backed "quango" not, I repeat, not the puppet of the pharmaceuticals industry.

How could I have been so stupid?.... I have been reborn into the light!.... my customary over-zealous statement for dramatic effect.... but you get the picture this artist is painting!

So of course I should expect the greatest battle of my life to get the treatment I need! D'oh!!!!

I may surprise you here.... I have a certain amount of sympathy for the endocrinologist whose hands are tied by the frontman (BTA) for the multi-national pharmaceuticals industry behemoth! Surely when you pursue a career in medicine it is to help people by using all the resources available to you, including your intellect, and not to become a eunuch to protect the harem of some faceless figure in the shadows.

Maybe I'm just incredibly naive or extremely cynical.... I just do not know anymore....

Is the filthy dollar really that important?.... I'm thinking aloud here.... does it supersede the health of human beings?.... is it more important than the life of a human being?

Yes is the answer it would seem!

But mostly I feel sorry for me!.... us!.... all of us suffering with hypothyroidism.... and even more so those struggling for diagnosis!.... being force fed synthetic T4 and or anti-depressants to line the pockets of.... the pharmaceuticals industry.... their shareholders.... the bankers and hedge fund managers.... the pension fund managers.... until they end up having the nerve to say "do you have a private/occupational pension?.... yes?.... then it is your fault too!".... fuck off!!!!.... how dare you!!!!

I only want my basic human rights to be respected.... is that really too much to ask?

Now, before a hitman is sent to put me out of my misery, I know that the pharmaceuticals industry does great work and performs miracles (there is no other word for it!) every single day!

But faced with the evidence, and thousands of patient testimonies, can we please have some perspective, some give and take.... it is not a sign of weakness to admit that you are not right all of the time.... in fact it is a sign of strength, self-confidence and power!.... that's what I tell myself anyway!

I implore a multi-national pharmaceuticals company to stick their head above the parapet and admit that for some patients combined T4/T3 therapy gets the best results. Also recommend that the physician and the patient must be encouraged to work together as a team without the fear of reproach on the part of the patient.

I am not trying to be difficult.... I just want to be well!.... I am not an animal.... I am a human being!

The results of so much research material are already out there in cyberspace and just because I am able to access it and form my own opinion do not judge me!.... It is so arrogant and disrespectful to do so!.... Is it so unbelievable that I may have the intellectual ability to research and process information and form an educated opinion?

Exactly!

Now, I have said before how much I respect health professionals for the dedication and ability it takes to study and qualify to practice medicine. Please offer me the same courtesy.... respect.... we do not have to agree on everything.... but once all the facts have been considered please allow me one thing.... the freedom of choice.

Treatment must be influenced by results and by not disregarding the particular results you do not like. Many people are happy with their treatment on T4 only, but equally, many are not. Please listen to all voices.

There is room in the treatment of hypothyroidism for all options.... T4 only.... T3 only.... combined synthetic T4/T3.... combined natural T4/T3.... and other treatments I myself am not yet aware of.

A question.... what percentage of people with depression would you expect to have hypothyroidism as the underlying cause?

The first signs I noticed that something was wrong with me were mild depressive feelings in my twenties that I visited my doctor about. I remember thinking.... does everybody find life this difficult.... the getting out of bed.... constantly feeling exhausted.... if only I knew then what I know now!

The first thing I would like a doctor to do when faced with a patient who is clearly depressed, after offering support and expressing sympathy for the awfulness of the situation, is schedule a comprehensive range of blood tests to determine if hypothyroidism is lurking in the wings. If it is not then traditional treatment options will have to be explored.... if hypothyroidism is unmasked then reassure the patient that the most precious thing in their possession.... their life.... will get better.

From my own research and my own experience it is not unfeasible to make the connection between the power of the pharmaceutical industry, their influence, and my struggle to get treatment that is contrary to their guidelines.

Think about how much money is involved in the treatment of mental illness every single year.... pharmaceuticals industry; medication, research and development, marketing.... billions of dollars.... treatment and therapy, public and private.... another bottomless pit.... billions of dollars.... worldwide this could total trillions, every single year!

So even a small shift away to correctly diagnosed hypothyroidism, where the optimal treatment is something other than T4, would represent billions of dollars every year. I'm not expecting it in my lifetime but the figures I give could just be the tip of the iceberg!

How many more lives must be lost to depression and untreated hypothyroidism before the media and the world at large sits up and takes notice? There is a story here.... let's bust it wide open!

Who wants to be a hero? Take it and run with it....

The answer to unlocking this Pandora's Box can be found in a most unlikely ally.... the media!!!!

That's right, the media!!!! In this 24/7/365 21st century world we live in, in the western world (I hate that term!), the media is all powerful.... the media has a huge ego.... the media is king....

I am lucky.... I know what is wrong with me.... many are not so lucky.... all I ask is that I am helped to get better.... and that those poor lost souls awaiting an accurate diagnosis can be freed from purgatory....

2 comments:

  1. Dear HypoMan

    Anonymous here again....

    If I had a pound for every time I had that said to me by an endocrinogist!!!!.....
    "it is not recommended by the British Thyroid Association (BTA)"
    Who are the British Thyroid Association? As far as I am concerned they are a waste of space and money! What have they ever done for me and my thyroid disease?!!!
    And tell the endo's next time....it is only a f-in recommendation, not written in stone....sorry, it does make me cross - if you hadn't already guessed. And of course this is a tricky one, because when we are feeling so rubbish, we are not a very good advocate for ourselves, well I'm not.

    plus, have a look here
    http://www.tpa-uk.org.uk/august2007_TPAcorrections_to_BTA.php

    Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you HypoMan

    Check out www.thyromind.info. Thank you for your great site.

    Shine that light!!!

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome, positive or negative.
Please do not be abusive as these comments will not be shown.
Thank you, Robert.